Monday, March 8, 2010

identity



I had the privilege of spending the last four days near San Fransisco at InterVarsity's Asian American Staff Conference.

I was initially nervous about attending. As I've continued to explore what it means to feel free to embrace my Korean-American side I consistently find myself wishing that I were half-Korean. If I were half I'd feel more entitled to that identity. I imagine that an even split is easier to navigate. I imagine that if my dad had kept his Korean name I'd be Andrea Kim and there would be far fewer questions. I imagine that my high cheekbones would be set even higher and my small feet would fit in smaller shoes.

Jesus continues to invite me to experience healing and to embrace an identity that is far less fragmented. I don't fully know how He plans on using this Scotch-Irish-German-Korean-Jewish vessel, but I know that He'll use all of me. Not one bit of my tangled ethnic identity is out of place or a mistake.

Post-conference conclusion: I am grateful to be caught up in the Story written by a God who wastes nothing.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Hey, I just came across your blog and wanted to let you know that you are such an inspiration! Blessings, Erin

Andrea said...

Thanks, Erin!