Thursday, March 18, 2010

shining lights



On Friday, March 12, CityLights was coming to a close and Gerry Chappeau, project director, was leading the students in sharing their reflections from the week. Sanjay*, a Wash U senior who has been friends with a couple of One Voice students since his freshman year raised his hand. "This week has helped me understand more of what Christianity is all about...getting to see it in action. I didn't understand before why people could be so passionate about it, but I think I get it now. It's made me take a look at my own faith and why I believe what I believe," he shared.

Sanjay comes from a Hindu background and describes himself as a Hindu/Buddhist. As his friends from One Voice have continued to engage in conversation about spiritual matters his posture towards Christianity has become more positive. I must confess that I was pretty surprised when I learned that he had signed up for CityLights. I fully believe that the experience of living in community, serving the city, and learning about God's response to injustice and oppression have helped Sanjay take a couple of steps closer to Jesus. He told his One Voice friends that spending Spring Break at CityLights was the best week he's had in the past year and a half!

Returning to the "real world" after any spiritually significant experience is challenging. Diving back into life and study on campus after CityLights is no exception. Would you join me in praying specifically that Sanjay's heart and mind would remain open to the Gospel in this spiritually vulnerable time? Please pray for wisdom for those of us in his life who will continue to talk to him about Jesus and help him process what he has been experiencing.

* Name changed to protect student's identity

No comments: