Tuesday, September 14, 2010

battle

I shouldn't be surprised at the way that God uses the work that He calls us into to highlight the inner work of transformation that He's committed to completing in us. I shouldn't be surprised, but I still am. I have experienced a roller coaster of emotions in the last three weeks, but much of that has come in the form of anxiety. As I've processed what I am feeling with people I trust it has become increasingly evident that too much of my sense of worth is tied to the response I am receiving from other people. In my case those people are students I am meeting. Again, this is not a new struggle, but it feels more acute than usual. It is a daily battle to trust that my identity is actually fixed in who Jesus says that I am and nothing else. As I continue to invite students to join Wash U Christian Fellowship in order to proclaim freedom to the captives on our campus I am asking Jesus to free me from the chains of anxiety and people pleasing.

The awareness of my internal battle to believe what is true ties into my sense that launching into this new school year has felt like more of a spiritual battle than ever before. As I've been spending more time interceding for campus I am aware of some of the oppressive spiritual realities of Wash U. Again, this is not new to me, but I feel keenly aware of the ways that a culture steeped in achievement, perfection, and pluralism operates as a kind of bondage that has spiritual implications. I am also aware that it is only a movement of God's Spirit that causes blind eyes to receive sight and hearts to hunger and thirst for truth. I've told several people that I am praying more than I've ever prayed in my life! Will you join me in fighting this spiritual battle through prayer?


No comments: