Tuesday, September 28, 2010

athletes + the chosen people

The InterVarsity interns from the Central Region were in St. Louis in early August for training. Part of that training involved prayer walking the campus of Wash U. As they were praying several students had a sense that God wanted to open doors among two communities on campus: athletes and Jewish students.

My internal response upon hearing both of those communities named was less than enthusiastic. I often describe myself as "athletically challenged" and I didn't grow up playing team sports so the prospect of hanging out with students from the other end of that spectrum was intimidating. Reaching out to Jewish students also sounded intimidating. A significant percentage of Wash U's undergrad population identifies as Jewish and there has been tension on campus in the past over Christian outreach efforts aimed at the Jewish community. I've been willing to pray for open doors, but I've lacked faith since planning for a door to actually open didn't make my list of strategic moves.

I am grateful that God continues to invite me into situations that require more faith than I can muster. I am grateful that He is committed to freeing my from the fear that keeps me paralyzed in my comfort zone. I am grateful that He promises to lead the blind, "by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them" (Isaiah 42:16).

Andrew, the freshman football player, and I met for lunch last week and I asked him what he thought about inviting some of his teammates to study Scripture on Monday nights. "That sounds great!" he responded. I mentioned the idea to Jess, a senior on the cross country team and she immediately started inviting some of the freshmen girls from the team. I also invited another freshman from the swim team.

Andrew, Jess, and I met last night to study the first fifteen verses of Mark's Gospel and talk about how to invite our friends to the official launch of our athlete Bible study next week.


I think I'm going to have to learn a thing or two about football.

BUT that's not the end of it! Wouldn't it be just like God to show up in another crazy way? Yes, yes it would.

I met up with Jonathan, another freshman, last week and discovered that he identifies himself as a Messianic Jew. His parents independently came to believe that Jesus was the Messiah prior to their marriage and two of his grandparents, both Holocaust survivors, came to the same belief later in life. I could hardly believe what I was hearing.


Torah study? It just might be in my future.

Your prayers for wisdom and direction are very much appreciated as I continue to build relationship with Andrew and Jonathan and invite them to explore these open doors with me.

No comments: