Tuesday, February 1, 2011

future


The mystery man's name is Ben.

Are you a sucker for a good story? I sure am.

Once upon a time over six years ago Ben and I met when we were both InterVarsity interns in different regions. I harbored a crush for the duration of our 10-day intern trek, but only confessed as much to my journal. We said "hi" to each other at Urbana 06 and then he said "hi" again via facebook after I met one of his co-workers in July 2009. His Urbana 09 staff role landed him in a morning Bible study two rooms down from where I was teaching mine. We kept running into each other. Imagine that! Conversations grew longer and the rest, as we often say, is history.

Now that you have a bit of the scoop on our past I want to fill you on our future. After a year of making a long-distance relationship thrive we're ready to be in the same place and begin our life together. The first decision in that process involves whether we want to start that life in St. Louis or in Corvallis, Oregon where he's on staff at Oregon State University. We've got great ministry options in both locations, which makes the decision more challenging in some ways. While we haven't landed on anything solid yet, I am happy to report that the decision-making process has been a truly healthy and mostly peaceful one - considering my propensity for anxiety. I'll add that to the list of redemptive characteristics that continue to mark our relationship.

It was so fun to watch him gain the approval of my family and some dear friends when we spent time in Arizona in December. In particular my two nieces, who are remarkably good judges of character, were quite taken with him. Does convincing them that his thumb is detachable count as a form of bribery?

I find myself reveling in the goodness of this gift.

5 comments:

bridget said...

That's awesome Andrea! Way to wait for God's best girl! That's the way to do it!!

Livy said...

Congrats Andrea! I know the decision about where to go might be tough but I know you'll be blessed either way :)

Jess said...

This is so exciting!!! I love Love!

Ladydi said...

Good job Andrea!!! Good looking and nice too! The girls told me he was soooo funny. Wished we could have gotton together while u were here. As for stressing, take it from someone who knows, it doesn't do a bit of good, so just let go let God, right??

Unknown said...

Andrea, I am extremely happy for you -- extremely! Especially, considering what you have been through. I know you will make a very good decision, and it does sound like you have a good process. Love you in Arizona... Dee