Tuesday, September 27, 2011

summer highlight - intern trek 2011



40+ interns and staff from the Western states in Flagstaff, AZ this July - Intern Trek 2011

Intern Trek 2011 was the highlight of my summer. Period.

I was worried that staffing the Intern Trek would be too much in the midst of a summer filled with personal transition, but it turns out that the Trek was exactly what I needed.

God knew that I needed a crazy 3500 mile roadtrip. He knew that I needed to connect with the interns from the Northwest. He knew that I need the chance to partner with former staff and supervisors from the Arizona staff team. He knew that Ben and I needed an opportunity to do ministry together.



Our staff panel dropped some veteran staff wisdom on the interns one afternoon.

I love investing in new staff! It was such a privilege to coach them as they took evangelistic risks during our Red Cup outreach at the University of New Mexico. It was a gift to pray with them through issues of calling and fear. It was a joy to laugh with them and share stories during long rides in the van.

The experience was really great for Ben and me, particularly as it provided an opportunity to lead together. The Northwest interns started referring to us as 'Mom and Dad' after the second day. Our coworker, Christian, from Seattle received the title of 'Uncle'. It was hugely encouraging to bond with staff who are part of my new region and to have a ton of fun working with Ben in the process. It was a double win!



Northwest interns and staff = my new family

No comments: